Wednesday, October 6, 2010

Deathwing is Looming and Change is Coming!

I recently downloaded the PTR client and copied over my three 80's in order to see just what all the fuss was about. It was a good thing I did so, because I discovered a few things, the least of which is having to essentially relearn how to play my Paladin. I mean, I've been trying to get ready for what's coming, even telling myself to be very thrifty so that I can save up for a new computer (not just for Cataclysm, I need one anyway, and now that Cataclysm is coming out in early December, I'll just consider my comp an early X-Mas present to myself). I've been reading blogs like bigredkitty.net, Wow Insider, MMO-Champion, and watching beta videos, mostly from TotalBuiscuit, because he's an angry, ranty, in-the-beta-when-I'm-not, British guy, and, clearly, you can't have too much angry-British-guy. So, on to my revelations from the PTR...

First Thing I Learned From the PTR: I am very dependent on my AddOns. This isn't really that big of a surprise to me, especially since I recently did a complete UI overhaul on Live to get a more organized and visually interesting setup for myself. Why I decided to do this a few months before an expansion is going to essentially break everything, I don't know. I guess I'm a masochist like that. Also, it's been so long since I've used the default UI from Blizzard, that it looks alien to me and made me want to cry in frustration, so I haven't actually really gotten a great deal of practice with any of my level 80's on the PTR just yet.

Second Thing I Learned From the PTR: I am not a fan of the new streaming downloader. I find that I would rather spend the hour or two just downloading the whole thing and then have pretty, faster-loading stuff in game, than to get started right away with a game that looks... glitchy with really bad graphics, and missing NPCs. I swear, it took forever for the important NPCs in Orgrimmar to show up on copy!Purah when I took him there to mess around with the even quests. Basically, I'll do as I've always done and install the whole thing right away, most likely. We'll see how impatient I am once it truly hits. Also, did I mention that the little spinning wheel that turns colors and stuff to indicate what is downloading... it's ugly. I don't like it, and it's right in the center of my screen, like, hardcore. *angry-pouty face*

Third Thing I Learned From the PTR: I will essentially have to relearn how to play my characters. People have been saying this for some time now, and I don't really know why it seemed to have caught me by surprise. Maybe it's because it's one thing to say "Oh, hey, yeah, you'll totally have to relearn how to play your class, because Deathwing is doing more than just giving Azeroth a new facelift in a bad way..." and actually seeing the changes and trying to figure out what the hell abilities you're supposed to use on a regular rotation now. I am actually glad that we aren't GCD locked anymore, although the first-come-first-served mentality wasn't too hard to work with for me. It made playing PvE simple. PvP... well, we won't talk about that.

Fourth Thing I Learned From the PTR: I am going to like the opening event! This isn't really a surprise, I loved the Wrath opening event (unlike all those QQ'ers out there who bitched and moaned about it) and it looks like they've pulled out all the stops on the Cataclysm one. I didn't do a great deal with it, yet, but it looks like fun. Part of me wants to save some stuff for Live, especially since Seona is on an RP server, but the part of the event that is running on the PTR now is exciting and full of action. I think that the only part that may get slightly annoying are the semi-regular earthquakes... but then, earthquakes aren't really meant to be comfortable, right?

Fifth Thing I Learned From the PTR: I have not spent enough time on the PTR. Seriously. I've really only logged into it a couple of times and could really use more time in there getting used to the new abilities, talent builds, glyphs (a few are gone for good, as I noticed some "Charred Glyphs" in copy!Purah's bag... they are vendor trash now), UI enhancements, etc.

Cataclysm is coming, folks. If you haven't been getting ready for the upcoming changes then all I can say is: "YOU ARE NOT PREPARED." Because that joke never gets old, right?

No comments:

Post a Comment