Wednesday, January 7, 2009

In the Spirit of the New Year


Since part of my New Year's resolution is to get more organized and more in control of my life, I've decided to bring that mindset to my digital life as well and start narrowing my focus when it comes to my alts. While it's fun to have lots of options, I'll never get anything done with any of them if I keep jumping around. So... which to choose? I have one of every class (including a Death Knight), and several in some classes, like Hunter and Druid.
My Warrior will be my main, so it's up to choosing my alts. I've decided to choose two in order to fully utilize the Armory's set up with one Main and two secondary toons on your drop-down menu. If I ever feel that one is getting stale, I'll switch to the other, or drop it from my list in favor of one I haven't played in awhile. The choice is a difficult one...
* I love my Hunters. Having pets with you  means you're never traveling alone, and they tank for you, especially my trusty Gorilla, Earthshaker (Hooray for thunderstomp + Volley!!). Ranged DPS is fun and a very different playstyle from my usual Prot. Warrior.
* I love my Druids. Shapeshifting is just cool, hands down. I enjoy that they can fill every role and flexibility is a nice trait to have, especially on an alt.
* I like my Rogues. Stealth. Best part about being a rogue. I love sneaking around, picking locks, and big numbers from crits. The main drawback for me is their squishyness when it comes to armor. I often forget that I'm not wearing plate and die more than I'd like.
* I like my Warlock. Many of the benefits from the hunter apply to my Warlock: Pets, ranged dps... but I haven't spent much time with her lately, and I've noticed that I burn out faster since it is usually: Voidwalker, DoTs, wand it down. I might throw in a shadow bolt or two, but not often. So I burn out on this frequently, thought as an alt, that isn't a big issue.
* I like my Death Knight. Really, what's NOT to like about the DKs. Except that they are everywhere. And they've gotten a bit of a bad reputation for being Death Tards. Which is unfortunate. It also means that I'm probably shelving him for now.
* I like my Shaman. I haven't explored all there is to know about the Shaman class, yet. I created one for BRK's Run for Ezra some time ago and leveled it to 18 or so. He's waiting for me to continue, and I'm tempted. Ghost Wolf form at level 20 sounds awesome, and they are also hybrids, though less flexible than Druids, I think.
* I like my Priest... sort of. My mistake, I think, was trying to level Discipline (pre 3.0, when there was wand specialization at the top of the talents). Everyone is pretty unanimous when it comes to leveling a Priest: go Shadow. I got pretty burned out and turned her into a bank alt. Now I actually NEED to level her, as she has Enchanting as a profession, which has level caps build in.
* I have a Mage and a Paladin... but I haven't really focused on them at all. Which could be good or bad: If I stick to one of them and actually get them past their starting areas to around level 30, it may be a totally new experience for me, or... I could get really bored. They are like wild cards, and I'm not sure I want to play them yet.
Normally, I would go with the easy way out and just choose the two highest leveled characters to push to 80 (my Death Knight and a Hunter). But Death Knights are so popular right now... and my Hunter is a special case. I learned how to play WoW from the Hunter's perspective... which means I was a huntard. :p It also means that my level 53 Hunter is in really bad shape, with terrible gear leftover from around level 35 and 40. Still, thanks to a free server transfer (thank you Blizzard!), I can start with a clean slate. I think my first choice will be my very first toon that I leveled: Poloma. Yep, her gear is awful, and yep, she is going to take tons of work, but she holds a special place in my heart and it's time to level her up. Get ready for Outland, baby!
The second toon will probably need to be my Priest, at least till I get her to level 20. While she may just be my banking alt, I really need her to have a higher level of Enchating to disenchant all the stuff I get on my main. Once she's set again, I'll switch her out for another toon... maybe my Druid. :D

How do you deal with alts? I'm probably really overcomplicating this whole thing...

No comments:

Post a Comment