Thursday, April 16, 2009

Get That Groove Back

So patch 3.1 is firmly in place (mostly) and that brings with it all the fun of a new patch and all the diffculties of one, like broken add-ons and funky interfaces. I think about half of the ones I downloaded don't work anymore. D: It's okay, though. I'm sure in the next week or so they'll get updated. Of course, a broken interface is actually the least of my problems, I think.

I used to have this great system down and my time on WoW was pretty organized. Not in a "too-uptight" way, just an efficient way, that let me get the most done in the shortest amount of time. That system has fallen by the wayside completely. I realized last night, totally exhausted from allergy medication, that my perfect little system had more or less imploded over the last few days in anticipation of the Ulduar patch.

I was all over the place, doing the Argent Tournament dailies, then trying to head back to Dalaran to try the new fishing dailies (and, man, those take you all over Northrend, don't they?) back to the tourney, then getting sidetracked in Storm Peaks... basically, I was like a chicken with my head cut off. Normally this wouldn't bother me, but I've noticed other things about my playstyle that has really started to bug me.

For one, I'm a tank that doesn't really tank. Isn't that the dumbest thing ever? I haven't run any instance in well over a week. The good thing is that I'll be running Heroic Utgarde Keep tonight more or less for sure. If it goes well, maybe our group will run a couple others. I mean, I've been level 80 now for weeks and have less than 10 heroic badges. So that makes, what... 2 Heroic dungeon runs total? Sad. Just pathetically sad. I should be getting geared up and ready! I mean, eventually we're going to raid, right? ...right?

I purchased the dual spec ability, so I can go fury when I don't want to tank, but, honestly, I have no clue how to play a fury warrior. That's going to take time to research and get down. I can at least say that my gear I have for my dps set isn't too terrible, for a starter set. Most of it is at least blue in quality. For me, it will be more a matter of figuring out a rotation, and not starving myself of rage. Something tells me the fury spec I went with isn't the most efficient, either, so that may have to change.

Of course, the system still has a few kinks to work out as I realized this morning during a Wintergrasp fight. I switched to Fury, then noticed how low my hp got and decided to go back to prot. Imagine my surprise when I didn't have devastate or shockwave in my arsenal? Last night, one of the guild's death knights complained about it, too, but since it had worked fine when I first got the ability I thought he was just missing something, you know, on his end. Turns out he was right. When I switched, it didn't redistribute some of my talent points, specifically at Devastate and below in the Prot tree. Of course, I didn't figure this out until after I ported back to Undercity to go relearn those abilities, thinking I'd have to buy them off my trainer. Still, having two specs at my disposal is a cool new feature and I'm sure Blizz will get it worked out soon.

I'm tempted to work on fury by staying in that secondary spec during my dailies, at least in the lower zones, like Scholozar Basin. Yeah, I'm woefully behind on my Oracles rep, not to mention any other rep. I'm going to have to map out all my dailies again and try to figure out the order in which to do them. I used QuestHelper for so long that I don't think I know how to play without it. Lightheaded and TomTom might help me out, but honestly QuestHelper did what those two do automatically AND tell me the most efficient way to go about them. Thankfully, Outfitter is back, so gear swapping isn't an issue. I don't know about QuestHelper. I really liked automatic waypoints.

In any case, I have time. Our guild still isn't ready to raid and we won't be until we start getting the newer 80's all geared up with heroics. If this run tonight goes well, maybe we can play around with doing a weekly thing. That would be nice, and get us used to a schedule that may evolve into a raiding schedule. In the meantime, maybe I'll PuG the Northrend instances I've never seen, not as a tank, but as a fury warrior on regular to get even better gear. That would be nice. :)

No comments:

Post a Comment